Losing weight has been the dilemma of millions of people world wide for many years. However, obesity has now become and continues to be a serious problem and is predicted to reach epidemic levels by the year 2020. One way to prevent this scenario is to help people become aware of the risks of being overweight or obese and understanding the healthy ways to lose weight. Here are some of the diseases that you are at risk of developing if you are carrying a lot of extra kilos / pounds:
1. Heart disease 2. Stroke 3. Diabetes 4. Cancer 5. Arthritis 6. Hypertension
Losing weight can help to prevent and control these diseases. When considering how to lose weight, it is important to understand that quick weight loss methods do not provide lasting results. More often than not, dieting methods which involve dietary drinks, foods and supplements or pills do not work. If they do, the results are just temporary.
Do you know that there are only really two ways to guarantee weight loss? No miracle drug or infomercial exercise device can promise you the same effects that can be had by simply eating the right things at the right time and adding some form of exercise to your new eating habits. Get these two right and you hold the key to losing weight the right way! When it comes to losing weight, there is no such thing as magic. Patience and perseverance are what you need.
Here are some suggestions to help you lose those unwanted kilos / pounds the healthy way WITHOUT dieting:
1. Understand why diets do not work! Diets are full of restrictions and guidelines. The problem with these strict guidelines is that they are often too hard to follow. It is human nature to want what we are not supposed to have. And when the desire is too much, the forbidden is where we go often out of despair. Strictly speaking – Diets set us up for failure and despair.
The best diet to be on is no diet at all. You must choose to make a lifestyle change. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Enjoy whole grains and more lean meats. But never refuse yourself a treat now and again. The problem begins when our trips overtake our normal meals. At that point stop the fears. Skipping meals is counter productive.You may feel happy that you are losing that undesired fat on your belly and thighs by skipping meals. But this will not last long! Your body can not tolerate having insufficient food to fuel the energy that you use up everyday. If you skip one or two meals a day, your stored calories will be used up instead of the energy that should have been provided by your meals. So if you just eat one huge meal in the day, the weight will eventually end up straight to your problem area (ie highs, buttocks, hips).
2. Eat small, healthy meals frequently. Five small-serving snacks per day is better than three hearty meals. Eating more frequently, and in small servings, can prevent over-eating. This will also increase your metabolism and make calories burn faster. This way the body will not think that it is being starved and will not store food as fat.
3. Why water? It is one of the most important aspects of weight loss! Your body needs sufficient water to burn fat and keep your cells hydrated and healthy.Increasing water intake is an integral part of any type of weight loss technique. Water and other liquids are capable of flushing the toxins and other excess elements out of the body. In short, regular and increased fluid intake during diet can help cleanse the body.
Sometimes when you eat foods containing excess fat, the extra fats unused by the body is deposited into the muscles. Over time, this can cause build up of fatty muscles instead of lean ones. Water, on the other hand, can definitely help the body get rid of some of these excess fats.
4. What foods to eat? An extremely important and probably the basic requirement of any healthy eating plan are fruits and vegetables. These two types of food are critical in helping the body lose and manage weight. For starters, fruits contain natural sugar, some even fibers, that can help the body's energy level and bowel movements. Drinking fresh fruit juices is one way of helping the body lose weight faster.
Furthermore, vegetables contain dietary fibers helpful in flushing out toxins. In the simplest terms, fiber enriched vegetables can not be digested and therefore always exhausted from the body. When they are expelled, they tend to carry with them toxins and excess fat deposits. Eating such types of foods can definitely help you lose weight healthily and successfully. Plan your meals around lots of fruits and vegetables. Eat some bread, rice or pasta, plus lean meat and protein rich-foods. Sweets, sodas and pastries should be once-in-a-while indulgences only.
5. Understand good fat / bad fat. Fat is not the culprit to being overweight. You need diet (healthy) fat to keep your body functioning properly. Healthy fats are found in foods such as olives, nuts / seeds and vegetable oils. Salmon, herring and mackerel have omega-3 fats which is good for the heart. Saturated and Trans fats are the bad ones – they are found in most packaged foods and animal foods. Manufacturers hydrogenate liquid oils to increase a product's shelf life, so look for 'trans fat content' in the nutrition facts on the packet.
6. Exercise. A gym or exercise class is fantastic but even a few simple changes can make a big difference. Walk wherever possible. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Go for a jog or swim a few times a week. Make sure that you do this regularly and you will notice that you are already shedding kilos / pounds with these simple activities.
7. Decide on how much weight you want to lose. Keep your goals realistic. Go slow. Have a mindset that you want to eat healthy to stay healthy for the rest of your life. Search for quality information so you are well informed when deciding on a weight loss plan or program. Most importantly – stick to it!
Losing weight does not have to mean sacrifice and suffering, it may seem like a daunting process at first but take small steps and make small changes to get started. Maybe you have been trying for years to lose weight unsuccessfully, or maybe you just want to improve the way you look and feel. Either way, when you learn how to eat correctly and make exercising fun, you will be thrilled with the results! Good Luck … you can do it!
Source by Shirley Campbell